Fiddle Technique – Short Course with Gregor Borland
4 weeks: Wednesdays 15, 22, 29 Nov and 6 Dec.
This 4-week short course on a Wednesday seeks to complement our programme of Thursday fiddle classes, looking at particular aspects of fiddle technique to help students improve their overall playing, tone and bowing.
Award-winning fiddler and teacher Gregor Borland will look at various aspects of technique including:
- Bowing: the importance of the ups and downs
- Basic bowing rules
- Bow management: why are you running out of bow?
- Starting from a blank page: how and where to add slurs
- Grace notes: when to use, when not, and how
- How to think about bowing tunes to improve playing overall
- Keeping your bowing consistent for particular tunes to maintain emphasis
All levels are welcome but we expect this class will work best for students from Fiddle 3 and above.
The class will run on Wednesdays 15, 22, 29 Nov and 6 Dec.
Times: Wednesday at 7-9pm James Gillespie’s High School
Tutor: Gregor Borland
Cost: As this is a short course, it is priced differently from standard weekly classes –
SMG member £40 / £32 concession, Non-member £47 / £39 concession